If you have a passion for mathematics, want to inspire future generations of mathematicians and have a desire to teach, then apply for a Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarship.
The Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships is awarding up to 270 Scholarships to talented individuals with strong mathematics knowledge, have the potential to be an inspirational teacher and who will be commencing a mathematics teacher training course in 2022/23.
Along with a £26K tax-free bursary during your teacher training year, a Maths Scholarship also comes with a package of support which includes; two years free membership of professional bodies; access to superb professional resources and invitations to exclusive CPD and networking events.
Are you Eligible to apply?
To apply for a Maths Scholarship, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You are eligible for student finance (please see the eligibility section of our FAQ page for more information)
- You have, or are expected to achieve:
- A first or 2:1 undergraduate degree, or a postgraduate degree (MSc, MRes, MPhil or PhD), or;
- A 2:2 undergraduate degree, and also have significant relevant experience.
- You meet one of the following:
- Have, or are studying for, a degree with strong mathematical content (e.g. mathematics, physics, engineering.)
- Have a degree with strong mathematical content and will complete, or have completed, a Maths Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course of any duration prior to September 2022.
- Have a non-mathematical degree and will complete, or have completed, a Maths SKE course of a minimum of 20 weeks in duration prior to September 2022.
- Have a non-mathematical degree with extensive mathematical professional experience.
- Secure a training place on an eligible secondary mathematics PGCE or unsalaried School Direct course in England which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) status for the 2022/23 academic year.
Want to find out more?
Come along to one of our webinars where the Maths Scholarships Team will be live, talking about the Scheme and answering all your burning questions such as: how it is different to the government’s normal bursary for initial teacher training; what additional benefits do Maths Scholars receive as part of the Maths Scholarship; how can the Scheme help an ITT trainee during their initial teacher training year.
We will also be joined by a representative from an outstanding teacher training provider who will answer any questions concerning the process of applying to teacher training. Please note that this advice is provided independently of any provider.
To sign up to a webinar, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred date from the following list:
|Monday 13 December 2021||19:30 – 20:30|
|Tuesday 25 January 2022||10:30 – 11:30|
|Thursday 10 March 2022||14:00 – 15:00|
|Saturday 9 April 2022||09:30 – 10:30|
When are we Opening/Closing Applications?
We are currently working away behind the scenes getting ready to open applications, which will be in late 2021 or early 2022. Keep an eye on our social media; Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn, or on our website for updates. If you would like to join our mailing list, then drop us an email at Scholarships@ima.org.uk.
The closing date will be confirmed once we have opened applications. However, in previous years, we have received an overwhelming number of applications to the Maths Scholarships which led to the Scheme closing earlier than expected. Should this happen again, then we will close early so follow us on social media, or join our mailing list, to stay up to date with our news.
In the meantime, more information about the Maths Scholarship can be found on our website, including full details of the application process. We want to help you through the process of applying so you will also find blogs on how to submit a successful application, and writing a personal statement. We also have blogs by our current, and past, Maths Scholars talking about their experiences as a mathematics trainee teacher or as a Maths Scholar.
Project Manager – Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
Direct Line: 01702 356108
Tel: 01702 354020
Charity Registration Number: 1017777
For information, please see the Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships website